Sunday 6 December 2009

SSP Batch 81 High Tea Reunion

Over the past 1 ½ years, my ex-schoolmate from SSP (Sekolah Sri Petaling), had somehow re-connected, much of it thru the power of Face book. Some aged faster, some slower, and some looked as if they were stuck in time as they look as youthful as before. Unfortunately, I fell into the first category. Sigh!!! My good friend, Julian Khan, was the creator of the FB group. Much of the ‘recruitment’ was done by another friend, Derek Ho, about 88% of the total recruited. This feat may not sound extra ordinary if not for a fact he resides in Canada! How this guy managed to do that from there defeats my mind and tells a lot about the guy.



Rashidi...he can even sing in Chinese
The performance
After numerous sessions of teh tarik (as evident from the expanding waists), plus a few events... well one actually... buka puasa, I had proposed to the core TT (teh tarik) group to have a reunion. Little that I knew, the proposer gets the honour of spearheading the proposal. Shucks! Haha. Luckily for me, the TT core was solid as a rock, and a mixture of people with vast experiences. So the ball starts rolling and as the date gets nearer, the momentum starts picking up.
The band members...Shaizar, Azmi, Adli, Juiian, Jazlan & Nubly

Shariman, that night he was the star
The initial idea was a reunion dinner, but when the decision was made, we didn’t have a band. Later on, the SSP Alumni (for all batches) announced that they were organizing the SSP Alumni dinner and each batch had to perform. Alas, on the initiatives of Jazlan & Adli, they formed our ‘Band 69’. They had practiced vigilantly 6 songs for the event, but alas, they were only allowed to perform 2 songs. I was sad for the band members as I knew how hard they had practiced. Thus, I suggested that they perform during our reunion event and I told them I expect them to perform between 8-15 songs. To accommodate the band, a change of venue was in order. At last, it was decided to have the function at the Karaoke Lounge, Holiday Villa.
The band singers...Kamarul, Shukur, Harcharan & Sherly

After much anticipation, the big day came, which was yesterday. Everything went perfect...the band was great, my former schoolmates were fantastic (40 year olds seldom gets the opportunity to let loose & not have people staring at them in disbelief or disgust..haha), the food was good, the party game was refreshing and the prizes were nice (tq to all that contributed). A special mention goes to my dear friend, Capt Andrew Lui, a great Master of Ceremony, who was pivotal at the heart of all the action.
Hey how come he gets to sing? haha...Isma
The 3 band singers, Shariman, Sherly & Aziana
Someone asked me what's the big deal about turning 40? Apart from the mid life crisis? Nothing really. I just thought that even now, I cant remember which class I was in 28 years ago or recognize some of my schoolmates. Heck, I have friends who cant even remember they were in the same kompang group as me or ever playing one if not for the pictorial evidence (now I know why we played 'sumbang'...haha). So I thought, I need a year that I can easily remember when we last had a reunion. Fast forward 10, 20 years into the future, I might not even remember where my sarong went to...haha.
Old friends just mingling, the 'TRULY' One Malaysia since 1976
My core TT buddies, Patrick & Lawrence, trying to sing a Malay song impromptu style
What's the difference between a high school/varsity reunion as compared to a primary school reunion? Primary school was a time when we were just friends for the sake of being friends. There were no racial prejudice, no political inclinations, no hidden agendas, no financial considerations ... nothing. We were the true 1 Malaysia as what our PM is campaigning now. That is why SSP69ers is strong, because people remember only the goodness in one another. However, sad to say that some chose to decline our invitation to join the group and some only wanted to come if there was anyone prominent in our group. Hmmm...


David Ong...queen's counsel, guitar player, photographer & a fast biker
A great adhoc performance by Syed othman, Azizi & Adis
Kamarul Adlan had made a slide presentation of pictures old and new of our schoolmates. It was refreshing to see everyone guessing who the heck was in the pictures. Everyone gathered in front of the screen, some standing, some sitting on chairs while some chose to just sit on the carpet. Some made funny remarks, some declared their old 'crushes'...but for me it was a time of mixed feelings...the time that has passed equates to lesser time on earth. Looking around, I cant help but just wonder when would I get to see all of them together like this...if ever there was another opportunity.

The prizes I won
The finale of the day was a birthday celebration for everyone. Cupcakes and candles were handed out. After lighting the candles, and with the lights dimmed, we sang 'Happy Birthday to us' and sang the old school song. I didn't realised that the Holiday Villa F&B Manager was standing in the corner. He was so touched that he extended the usage of the room by 1 hour FOC.
I did won 2 prizes though. Luckily, no one accused me of rigging the lucky draw. I won a CD dip courtesy of Aziana and RM100 Jusco vouchers. The CD was 'The Bangles'...hmmm....my friend was lucky as he got 'Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits'...but unfortunately for him, I don't think its his cup of tea....haha.
Me & Shariman, my BFF from school. I am glad that now everyone knows he was the Asst Head Prefect
Lastly, I am glad for my BFF from school, Shariman Samad for 3 things:-
  1. He gets to show off his vocal skills...it was like a mini concert for the band. The way he sang 'Smoke on the water' really was awesome.
  2. People got to see his cover album...he was vocalist for the group 'Acid' ages ago. I had wanted to paste it here, but since he was topless, I better get his consent first..haha.
  3. Now people know that he was my assistant...Penolong Ketua Pengawas 1981...after all these years, he finally deserved the recognition that was long overdue.
CaTz was there to help out
I am still tired from yesterday but it was worth it. I would like to thank my fellow committee members and the band members for the cooperation extended to me. I would also like to thank the sponsors for their kind donation. Last but not least, to all my brothers & sisters from SSP Batch 81, I love you all.
P/S: I didn't get to take much photographs. These are the few I managed to snap.

3 comments:

Sheila Nazir said...

You and Shariman looks like twins.

Unknown said...

Well said and done bro,but friendship can never be broken,shall be always be remembered till the end
3 cheers for all my bro and sis

Anonymous said...

Hi there.. Was Googling something about badges and nametags under Google Image and suddenly came across the picture of the Kompang Group for SSP Class of 81... Just to let you know that my elder sister is Ruhayati Osman in the photo! I was so excited that I have saved the photo and WhatsApp it to her who is now residing in Holland! Thank You! :)
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2013!

Related Posts with Thumbnails