Saturday 7 March 2009

Fine Dining

Last night I paid a visit to a friend's family owned restaurant called Subak. The friend, Farouk, was my ex-SSP school mate and the place is managed by Azlan, his close friend, who happens to be my ex tuition mate. Surprise, surprise what a small world we live in.

It’s fairly new place, about 3 weeks old, but managed by a very experienced crew. The head honcho in the kitchen is an executive chef that used to work for 5 stars resorts before joining this place...so I get to sample 5 stars food quality at 'normal' prices. The kitchen action is visible via glass windows...in case you want to learn how to cook from afar...haha.
The decoration was nicely done. It reminded us of the rice terrace over in Bali. They took the trouble of importing authenticated Bali furniture and fittings from Indonesia... right up to the colourful flags. The tranquillity of the place really sets the mood, with only the sound of crickets and frogs communicating in the background, amidst the pool of spring water. The right mixture of lights and candles, with soft jazz music, sets the ambiance to the place. The air was cool and breezy. Very nice.

When it was time to order, I went straight for something I had seen on their website, Lamb Shank. They recommended me Barbican, a malt drink originating from the Arab world, with different flavours to choose from. CaTz decided on Wantan Noodle Soup with Cafe Latte. Oh ya before all that, appetizer in the form of Gado-Gado. After all that, dessert...Es Teler.

What did I think of the food? It was superb. The portion sizes are just right. My lamb shank was so tender; I didn't have to use my knife much. Just using the fork was sufficient. And the taste? Mmmmm let's just say that my mouth is watering now just writing about it. Catz had nothing but praises for her food....and that's seldom seen or heard...haha.

I would certainly pay another visit very soon to this place to try out their pasta selection. Maybe this time I remember to bring my camera, coz the challenge to translate that entire comfy ambiance into pictures is just too tempting for me to resist. Most of all, I just want to chill with my good friend Farouk and catch up on old times.

For those of you who wants to know more about the place, visit their website at www.subak.com.my

3 comments:

Zaidatul Abu Bakar said...

Salam.. hi dearest uncle.. didnt get the chance to wish u a very happy birthday.. sorry.. it was a belatet wish though. Time flies kan.. soo fast.. glad get to meet u again.. though in the cyberworld.. hehe though we're families.. :).. u take care ya?.. keep in touch.. love, ur niece.. atul..

divechiefkaz said...

hi atul, tq for the wish...its the thought that counts. yes time flies, esp now since u hv children of yr own. take care & thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

Did u even offer me your Lamb Shank? Hmm.. i know u dont like ppl sharing your food (thats your number 1 turn-off i recall) hehe..

Related Posts with Thumbnails